mushroomleg
devils
BrentVegas
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BrentVegas

BrentVegas

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 am

My top ten, in rough order, although there's no doubt about number one.

Maynard James Keenan
Nick Cave
Leonard Cohen
Mark Lanegan
Layne Staley
Roger Waters
Danny Cavanagh
Mikael Akerfeldt
Dax
Axl Rose

Five more that could have been on the list if I'd made it yesterday or tomorrow:

Mickey Newbury
Tom Waits
Paul Simon
Dege Legg
Duncan Patterson
Back to top Go down
devils
rock n' roll nigger
devils

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 am

Leonard Cohen is like nails down a chalkboard for me.
i like Robert Plant and i'm trying to think of more. there's tons. Patti Smith. Sarah McLachlan, Josh Homme, Mark Lanegan, Dax of course. oh yeah, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Griffin, Randy California.
Back to top Go down
BrentVegas

BrentVegas

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:34 pm

devils wrote:
Leonard Cohen is like nails down a chalkboard for me.
i like Robert Plant and i'm trying to think of more.

Really? You noticed that I said lyricists, right? Not vocalists. If you meant their vocals, I agree on both counts, but otherwise I feel the opposite. Leonard Cohen has an amazing way with words, while Robert Plant...well...let's just say I like my lyrics to have a little more depth than Lord of the Rings references!
Back to top Go down
mushroomleg

mushroomleg

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:55 am

Cronos from Venom always wrote some sick shits.
Eazy-E (The Devil's son-in-law) was always a master maestro as well...
Back to top Go down
The Loach

The Loach

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:35 am

Waits, Zappa, Neil Fallon, Lenzig, Brecht, Chris Cornell (in no order)
Back to top Go down

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Chris Cornell, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Draugr
Behemoth Viking Warlord
Draugr

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Jimi Hendrix
Back to top Go down

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:37 pm

I might get blasted for saying this, but I'm a big fan of The Smiths and love Morrissey's lyrics - even if he is an asswipe.
Back to top Go down
Song

Song

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Dax - We all know why; Dax has the unique ability to equate death with enlightenment, surrender, and a respect for the mystic and divine

Eddie Vedder - Real life words about real life people; no embellishing, no bullshit, just the human condition laid bare.

Chris Cornell - Songs about struggling to affirm oneself in the face of the despair we all experience as a result of being a human being in today's world

Roger Waters - Can link his songs together, creating characters, situations, and plots, all while describing the bare insanity of life.

J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr) - Songs about the immeasurable distance that separate people and the effect that has on interpersonal relationships

Maynard James Keenan - Writes honest, raging lyrics that call motherfuckers out on their bullshit, as well as songs that approach enlightenment and spirituality

Regina Spektor - Dissects the human psyche while never losing a sense of play and the pure enjoyment of words and language.

David Bowie - Probably the most fascinating, intellectual songwriter of the last century; can write about anything and apply his vast knowledge of history and thought to his lyrics while maintaining a concern for real people.

Bradley Nowell - Dude, everyone's gotta have fun sometimes.

Neil Young - Folk songs that could have been written a 150 years ago and will be relevant for 150 years to come.
Back to top Go down
douse
shitty titties
douse

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:43 pm

good post horns
Back to top Go down
FormalinDance
Strange Soul
FormalinDance

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:32 pm

douse wrote:
good post horns

yeahthat
Back to top Go down
Draugr
Behemoth Viking Warlord
Draugr

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 12:34 am

Indeed... horns
Back to top Go down
FormalinDance
Strange Soul
FormalinDance

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 12:52 am

Off the top of my head...

Dax Riggs
Maynard James Keenan
Layne Staley
Thom Yorke
Glenn Danzig

There's more... but I am lazy.
Back to top Go down
Draugr
Behemoth Viking Warlord
Draugr

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 12:54 am

3 of those 5 are on my list.
1 of them i also dig but not enough for top 5.
Back to top Go down
Drake
W8ing4Brain2Xplode
Drake

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Draugr wrote:
Indeed... horns
werd

i'd like to add:
Micheal 'Eyedea' Larsen
Kristoff Krane
ECID
Brandon Boyd
matt mahaffey
lia ices
Back to top Go down
FormalinDance
Strange Soul
FormalinDance

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 5:59 am

Mickey was a good dude and a great lyricist. We had some super good convo. I was sad when he passed. He was the best in that genre. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Darth Paul
Rockin' the Darkside
Darth Paul

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 6:05 pm

This is a tough one for me. I'm more into the music side of things.

Chino (deftones) - Diamond Eyes is awesome for lyrics

Danzig - Just so cool. Dark. Lots of Testosterone.

Jewel - "0304" is just a super well written record. Plus, you think she's talkin' about being in love with you.

MJK - who else can put "juxtapose" or "metamorphosis"into a song?

Vedder - Just a great rock 'n roller!
Back to top Go down

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Townes Van Zandt, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, Michael Gira, Mark Lanegan, Adrian Borland, Dax, Will Oldham, Bill Callahan, Mark Linkous, and I still love a lot of Chris Cornell's Soundgarden lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite lyricists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite lyricists   Favorite lyricists I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite lyricists
Page 1 of 1